Public safety continues to be our priority, and we’re doing all we can to keep you safe at our venue.
Our team will continue working together with local and national authorities to ensure our visitors have the safest and most enjoyable experience whilst visiting York Barbican.
You may be searched on arrival or refused entry if you attempt to enter the venue with any of these prohibited items. This is to keep all customers safe in our venue, and we advise to arrive at the venue in good time to clear venue security.
If you have any specific requirements, please get in touch with us before your event by using our contact form.
We recommend to only bring essential items with you to the venue, as no large bags or backpacks at all will be permitted into the venue. All bags must be smaller than 40cm x 35cm x 19cm which is around the same size as A3 paper.
There will be no storage facilities for such items within the venue and it will be left to the patron to find a temporary facility to hold the said item. The venue will not be responsible for late admission or non-admission as a result of this policy.
After tragic recent events, we have heightened our security at York Barbican. No backpacks, holdalls, suitcases and other materials identified on the list of prohibited items below will be admitted into the venue. The patron will be refused entry if they attempt to enter the venue with the prohibited item.
- Backpacks, holdalls, luggage, computer bags and cushions*
- Glass, cans, aluminium bottles or thermoses of any kind including any liquid products which can be consumed*
- Flammable liquids in any container
- Laser pens/pointers
- Video cameras and professional cameras
- Laptop computers, Ipads and Go Pro’s
- Large/golf umbrellas
- Knives or weapons of any kind
- Illegal drugs or substances
- Alcoholic beverages
- Signs, banners or flags on poles, staffs or selfie sticks
- Animals (except service animals to aid persons with disabilities)
- Air horns, whistles, cowbells or other noise-making distractions
- Projectiles (Frisbees, beach balls, footballs etc)
- Aerosol cans (hairspray, mace pepper spray etc)
- Fireworks, confetti or glitter bombs or sprays
- Use of wheeled footwear, skateboards
- Masks and helmets
- Large studs and chains
- Anything else which we deem to ruin the enjoyment or viewing experience of others
All entry constitutes consent to search.
* Exceptions will be made for those with medical requirements and/or special needs
Whilst we cannot comment on specific security measures, guests attending shows should arrive in good time to clear venue security.
Please be assured that your safety is our absolute and number one priority.
Here’s what you need to know if you are attending an event…
Come Early - We ask you to arrive in enough time to pass through security checks and cooperate fully with our team
No Large Bags, Backpacks or Prohibited Items - Please be aware that we will not allow any large bags, backpacks, holdalls, luggage or computer bags into the venue. There is no storage or cloak room facility available so please make alternative arrangements before arriving at the venue.
Inform Us - If you have any medical requirements or special needs we ask this is communicated to venue ahead of visit for ease of entry.
We would like to reinforce that the advice from the government is to "be alert, not alarmed and be vigilant", and we hope you enjoy your visit.